Whether the World Touring Car Cup is at least eight rounds long, why not make it even bigger and better than it was before! Said – done, and the FIA WTCR calendar 2022 has been expanded to include ten challenges. The first trip leads us to the classic Pau street circuit. For the season finale we return to the traditional Macau. Moreover, the Sochi Autodrom has been added to the schedule after the successful race in Russia. Let’s delve a little closer into the race schedule.
Back to ten!
Ten is a magic number that is almost sacred in the World Touring Car Cup. Imagine, this threshold had been set for both the FIA WTCR calendar 2020 and 2019. But even before the start of the racing season, plans were quickly changed due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Thus, all WTCR races in 2020 were postponed to September!
The WTCR 2021 season has also been updated throughout the year. The race in South Korea was removed from the schedule, while the Sochi Autodrom replaced the planned race weekend in Macau and added Russia to the list.
Returning to the 10 means the gradual recovery of the FIA WTCR after a pandemic and the transition to the normal course of events.
WTCR 2022 Schedule in details.
- The FIA Touring Car Commission and the FIA World Motor Sport Council E-Voting have officially agreed and approved the schedule. The one of most brilliant race on the calendar is the race on the streets of Pau. The challenger returns to France for the first time since 2009 with the revival of the Grand Prix de Pau.
- Another coveted destination is the toughest Nurburgring Nordschleife. The 25.378 kilometers long race track will host the WTCR Race of Germany for the fifth year in a row.
- Villa Real is the third highlight of the WTCR calendar 2022. After a two-season absence due to a pandemic, Vila Real’s iconic street circuit returns to host the WTCR Race of Portugal one week after Spain.
- The fourth brilliant venue on the WTCR calendar 2022 is Russia’s Sochi Autodrom, scheduled for the summer. Next reason to visit Sochi – the resort city where the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Russia 2022 will be held for the last time.
- Inje Speedium Circuit is preparing to host the WTCR for the second year in a row. However, in the hope of South Korea will take place in October, an Asian tour with three events will open its doors in the autumn. That would be the fifth highlight in the 2022 WTCR calendar.
Together with South Korea, China will take over the hosting of the WTCR race at Ningbo International Speedpark in November 2022 after a two-year absence. Macau will next return to the FIA WTCR calendar in 2022 as host of the season finale.
Even though, before the start of the upcoming season, the schedule had been altered significantly.
FIA WTCR calendar 2022: Latest Updates.
We pray for all the people of Ukraine and hope that the situation will soon end. We stand by all problems of our time can be solved peacefully.
According to the statement of the WTCR, the series confirms that under the current circumstances it is not possible to hold the Round 13 / 14 in Russia. An impressive debut event for Sochi could be the WTCR race at Sochi Autodrom. As racing circuits prepared to hold Formula 1 races for the last time, organizers focused on WTCR 2022. Gabriele Tarquini was the first to go to Sochi. The track was interesting to him, even if we can’t say the Sochi Autodrome was a suitable place for overtaking.
Discussions about which circuit to attend in August were tense, but short. Therefore, a huge logistic chain was broken. In the Chezh Republic, Autodrom Most withdrawn from the schedule. Next races in Korea, China, and Macau also were declined. Consequently, the WTCR calendar for 2022 became even shorter.
FIA World Touring Car Cup 2022 updated calendar
- France, Circuit de Pau-Ville, May 7-8
- Germany, Nürburgring Nordschleife, May 26-28
- Hungary, Hungaroring, June 11-12
- Spain, MotorLand Aragón, June 25-26
- Portugal, Circuito do Vila Real, July 2-3
- Italy, Autodromo Vallelunga Piero Taruffi, July 23-24
- Alsace GrandEst, Anneau du Rhin, August 6-7
Thus, the FIA World Touring Car Cup schedule for 2022 again demonstrated full flexibility, as it was during the pandemic. Despite these changes, the organizers offered the best racing experiences and provided the most practical solutions.
Leave a Comment